Cross country earns ticket to nationals

As Hunt and Horchler both win first place overall, Biola earns a spot in the NAIA Championship.

Abby Blake/THE CHIMES

Keaton Moore, Writer

Women’s team earned first place in the GSAC championship this weekend, while the men’s team finished in second place.

REPRESENTING BIOLA

As their season comes close to its end, the cross country team competed in the Golden State Athletic Conference Championship Invitational on Nov. 7. Not only that, but their performance earned both teams the opportunity to represent Biola at the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletes Cross Country Championship on Nov 21.

The invitational took place at the Irvine Regional Park, where the Eagles raced against rival schools such as The Master’s College, Westmont College and William Jessup University.

NOT ENOUGH

The women’s team ran their 5K race in a total time of 1:32:11.35, earning 26 points. In their 8K route, the men’s team finished with a total time of 2:12:23.93 with 57 points. However, this was not enough to take first place and the men’s team won second place behind The Master’s College.

Both the men’s and women’s teams had runners finish in first place overall in the GSAC Championship. Seniors Kevin Horchler, with a time of 25:07.35, and Kellian Hunt who finished the race in 17:30.50 both got first place in the GSAC Championship for the second time. Hunt took first in 2013 and Horchler in 2014.

MOVING ON

Freshman Ryan Thompson was the next Eagle to cross the finish line for the men’s team with a time of 26:19.37, earning him sixth place. Sophomore Jonathan O’Neil, who had not competed since the first meet due to injury, finished the invitational in 29th place with a 28:30.31 time. On the women’s team, senior Anika Gasner finished the race in third and with a time of 17:58.94.

Since the women’s team earned first place overall in the GSAC Championship, they get to move on to the NAIA Cross Country Championship. After winning first place for the men’s race, Horchler and the rest of the men’s cross country team will travel with the women’s team to compete in the championship on Nov. 21 in Charlotte, N.C.