Eagles dominate by double digits

Men’s basketball team has beaten every team this season by 10 or more points.

Freshman forward Steve Herve leaps up to dunk the ball against San Diego Christian College on Tuesday Nov. 2. | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Men’s basketball kicked off a perfect 2015-2016 season within their first five games. This record was achieved after wins against Life Pacific College on Nov. 6, followed by a home victory against La Sierra University on Nov. 7.

CARRYING MOMENTUM

The Eagles found their shot early against the Warriors, jumping out to a 10-2 lead five minutes into the game. Life Pacific was not able to recover and finished the first half with a 21-34 deficit.

Biola carried their momentum into the second half and extended their lead to 20 points with 11 minutes left in regulation. Life Pacific closed out the game by outscoring the Eagles 25-13, but it was too little too late as Biola won 69-58.

Junior guard Dakari Archer fueled the Eagles’ victory by scoring 22 points, grabbing eight rebounds, and passing three assists, leading the team in all three categories. More impressive than Archer’s point total was his efficiency behind the three point arch, making 6-6 from downtown. Archer currently shoots 56 percent from the three point line.

“This summer I just put a lot of work in as far as three point shot,” Archer said. “So I think that’s the main thing, it’s definitely paying off.”

RETURNING HOME

Biola returned home to play La Sierra in Chase Gymnasium the next day for their second home game of the season. La Sierra was no match for the more physical Eagles, sacrificing 40 points in the paint and giving up 12 second chance points to Biola.

“I think the secret was just getting the ball inside,” Archer said. “We were much bigger than them so it was easy to dominate like you saw [with] Steve [Herve, sophomore forward]. Once they crashed the big men we were able to kick out to the perimeter guys.”

Archer led the way again in the Eagles’ 83-66 victory, supplying 20 points, six rebounds and five steals. Senior guard Terrell Funches and junior forward Jeff Gonzalez provided 13 points and three assists of their own.

NOT TAKING ANYTHING LIGHTLY

The Eagles’ current undefeated record follows in the footsteps of last year’s 9-0 start.

While these early-season games may not provide the most honest assessment of Biola’s talent as they have not played a team with a winning record yet, they allow the team to get used to playing together before playing conference teams. Only half of Biola’s roster played with the team last season, and only two of the five starters for the Eagles are returners.

“We’re not playing the best competition yet,” Archer said. “But even though the teams aren’t good we’re trying to impose our will on them the best we can. We don’t want to take any team lightly no matter how weak they are.”

Biola has five games left before playing the first Golden State Athletic Conference team of the season, San Diego Christian College on Dec. 5. Their next non-conference game is against Pomona-Pitzer College on Nov. 11. The last time Biola played the Sagehens, the Eagles won 70-53.

“The same thing we’ve been doing [is how we’ll beat Pomona-Pitzer],” Gonzalez said. “We don’t need to do anything different. You know, if it’s not broke, why fix it?”