Golf rests in the rough

Men’s and women’s golf finish ninth and sixth at CSU San Marcos Invitational.

Cherri Yoon/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Biola Eagles men’s and women’s golf teams ended the two-day CSU San Marcos Invitational with slightly disappointing team results, but some encouraging individual performances. The men ended up in ninth overall out of 11 teams over the three-round tournament, while the women finished sixth of the eight teams for the two-rounds they played.

TOP INDIVIDUAL FINISHER

The men’s team shot 298 in both of the first two rounds on the first day of play, then finished the third round with a 299 to give them a tournament total of 895, beating out the University of Alberta by three strokes. The top individual finisher for the men was senior William Langworthy, who ended with a 218 (+2) for the three round, a score good enough to put him in a tie for 20th.

The rest of the men’s top five was rounded out by freshman Kyle McAbee with a 222, freshman Austin Bishop who carded a 226 and sophomore Dominic Rodriguez and freshman Dominic Ariondo who tied with a 232. Bishop, Dominic and Ariondo were the only Eagles to improve in the final round, and Ariondo was the only Eagle who improved over each previous round. His first round score was a 79, which he lowered to 77 in round two, then finally finished the third round with a 76.

LEADING THE WOMEN'S TEAM

The women’s team ended the first day in a tie for fifth place with a 317 combined score, then added 15 strokes (332) in the second round to give them a sixth place finish. Their 649 total was 11 strokes behind the University of Victoria and 53 better than Hope International. Freshman star Mychaela Graf once again led the women’s team with a 152 (+8), which earned her a tie for sixth position.

NEW SEASON RECORD

Senior Jasmine Rodriguez, sophomore Sarah Paravia, sophomore Lauren Van Horn and freshman Mary Karnazes finished second through fifth for the women. Jasmine Rodriguez, who has no relation to the Dominic Rodriguez on the men’s team, shot a 162 that put her in a tie for 20th. Paravia improved two strokes on her second round score, the only Eagle woman to do so, on her way to a 168 and a 31st place finish. Van Horn finished with a 171, putting her in a tie for 33rd. Kamazes put up two 86’s, giving her a total of 172 and 36th place.

Jasmine’s 162 is not only her new season record, beating out her 164 at the ACU Firestorm Fall Invitational in mid-September, but it is also her new career record for a two-round tournament. On the men’s side, Dominic tied his season low round record, with his 74 in the third round. That tied his second-round score in the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Co-Ed Invitational on Oct. 27-28.

Both teams only have one tournament left on the schedule, which is the Marymount Fall Invite that will take place Nov. 9-10 at Brookside Golf Course in Pasadena, Calif.