’90s pop brims with nostalgia

Hindsight is 20/20–late ‘90s hits were decidedly terrible, but recreate childhood nonetheless.

Hayley Langdon, Writer

If we are being honest, the best of ‘90s pop music is synonymous with its worst and the decade did not end until 2003. To remind you of your days that were filled with Spongebob and Full House, here is a list of jams that will take you back to your childhood.

“All Star” — Smash Mouth, 1999

smashmouth.wikia.com

The ‘80s have “Take On Me” and we have “All Star.” This song is practically our anthem and if you do not know every word, did you even ‘90s? Smash Mouth’s hit is basically a song full of proverbs guaranteed to get you through any mid-semester slump you may be feeling.

“Genie in a Bottle” — Christina Aguilera, 1999

news.istitutoesteticoitaliano.it

Now that I am older I understand why I could not listen to this song when it came out, even though I still did — sorry Mom and Dad. This song is full of innuendos, but we honestly believed Aguilera was just a genie trapped in a bottle who wanted to be let out. Ignorance is bliss, folks.

“Bye Bye Bye” — NSync, 2000

music-bazaar.com

The first five seconds play and then the bass-drop-that-made-us-love-bass-drops, happens. NSync showed us how fantastic break up songs could be well before Taylor Swift was even a glimmer in the pop industry’s eyes. An added bonus is the music video that will increase your appreciation of the song.

“Lucky” — Britney Spears, 2000

britneyspears.com

This song is definitely a lesser known of Spears’ repertoire, but it does not mean it shines any less than the others. A tragedy of a girl who has everything in the world but still asks “If there is nothing missing in my life / Then why do these tears come at night?” Say what you want about Britney Spears, but she taught us material items do not equate to happiness.

“I Want It That Way” — Backstreet Boys, 1999

genius.com

Ah, yes. The first song I can remember that gave me feelings. I may have been a mere seven-year-old when I first heard “I Want It That Way,” but that does not diminish how much I related with the Backstreet Boys. But rather than relating the lyrics of the song to a boy, I associated them with the new Barbie I had my eye on instead.

“Sk8er Boi” — Avril Lavigne, 2002

alvevo.avrilspecial.com.br

Like the rest of the songs on this list, “Sk8er Boi” taught us a valuable lesson — do not judge a book by its cover. Or in this case, a boy by his baggy clothes. If you do, you will wind up a single mom and he will end up being a superstar dating a girl who loosely wears men’s ties. Class dismissed.

“Why Not” — Hilary Duff, 2003

atrl.net

“You will never get to heaven or even to L.A. / If you do not believe there is a way” are the words Duff sings to encourage her fans “To take a crazy chance / Or do a crazy dance.” Honestly with sagacious words like that, who needs Plato? Not me, I have Hilary Duff, thank you very much.