Eagles regain top of GSAC

After a five-game winning streak, men’s soccer is at the top of the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Marika Adamopoulos

Senior John Hanscom leaps for the ball, stealing it from his opponent. | Matthew Maitz/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola men’s soccer team has not lost since the Sept. 16 game against the University of California Merced. Since then they have gone 5-0-1 against opponents in the Golden State Athletic Conference, placing them first in conference.

EARLY ON THE BOARD

Biola blew out the William Jessup Warriors on Oct. 8 by a score of 4-1. Senior midfielder John Hanscom scored two goals this game for his first two goals of the season, and one goal and two assists were made by junior forward Leonardo Contreras.

The Eagles followed their win over the Warriors by beating Menlo College for their second to last home game of the season on Oct. 13. Hanscom put Biola on the board early after he rebounded junior midfielder Devin Leon’s shot that hit the goal post. Hanscom took advantage of the rebounded ball and scored, resulting in his third goal of the season.

“I have just somehow started putting the ball in the back of the net,” Hanscom said. “And might as well keep scoring – why not?”

GAINING MOMENTUM

Sophomore midfielder Jarrett Pugh scored Biola’s second goal off a header assist by senior midfielder Joey O’Keefe to give Biola a 2-1 lead. With a little under six minutes left in the game, Hanscom drew a penalty inside the box, allowing senior forward Stephen Tanquary to put an end to any thought the Oaks had of making a comeback. After he successfully converted on the penalty kick, the Eagles won 3-1.  

“We had a stretch of home games that has helped us gain some momentum and we’re just going to use that to propel us through this stretch of road games starting with San Diego Christian next Tuesday,” Pugh said. “We’re just going to take it one game at a time and with that defensive mentality that’s what it’s going to take to get these victories.”  

MORE CONFIDENCE

The Eagles traveled to San Diego to play the Hawks on Oct. 13 for the second time this season. In the first game, Biola beat San Diego 2-0, and found success again in this meeting.

Biola scored three goals early in the second half to tie the game at 3-3. With seven seconds left in the game, Biola earned a corner kick. Hanscom put the ball in play from the corner, setting O’Keefe who took advantage and won the game for Biola 4-3.

“It’s a huge win just to continue our streak against a really good side,” Hanscom said. “And just to give us a little more confidence going into Tuesday’s away game. Being undefeated in GSAC is something we really pride ourselves in right now.”  

Biola’s next game is against Hope International University for the team’s senior night and last regular season home game. Hope holds a season record 7-6 while being 2-3 in conference.