Solo goal defeats Menlo

Women’s soccer defeated the Oaks by a solo goal late in the second half.

Marika Adamopoulos

Junior Taylor Venegas pushes her way towards the ball in the heat of Biola’s home game last week. | Matthew Matiz/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The No. 14 women’s soccer team outperformed their previous results against Menlo College with a single goal victory on Oct 10. When the two teams played each other earlier in the year at Atherton, Calif., the game ended in a tie after double overtime.  

Biola commanded the ball for a majority of the first half, placing eight shots on goal over the Oaks’ one. No shots passed either goalie as the first half finished with a score of 0-0.

The Eagles maintained their offensive pressure on the Oaks throughout the second half. Two scoring chances came off of headers by junior forward Taylor Venegas. Both were blocked by Menlo’s goalkeeper.

The only goal of the game came with 13 minutes left in regulation. Sophomore forward Samantha Verduzco maneuvered around Menlo’s defense to position herself in close range of the opposing goal. Verduzco buried the ball in the back of the net for her sixth goal of the season and an Eagles lead.

The game finished with no other goals scored, resulting in an Eagles win by the score of 1-0. Biola holds a season record of 9-1-3 while being 3-0-2 in the Golden State Athletic Conference. Thier next game is away against San Diego Christian College on Oct. 13.