Men earn critical win

Men’s soccer uses intense heat to their advantage in a win over Menlo College.

Marika Adamopoulos

Senior Stephen Tanquary persevers towards the ball in the game against San Diego Christian College. Biola left the field with their first Golden State Athletic Conference victory of the season. | Matthew Maitz/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The men’s soccer team played against Menlo College in the middle of a day where thermometers were recording triple digits heat. With the black grains under the artificial turf, temperatures are 15 degrees higher on average on the field, resulting in difficult playing conditions. However, the Eagles used this to their benefit, resulting in a 3-1 blowout victory.

“When it gets over 100 [degrees] Coach Todd usually puts on a beanie to protect his head so we call it beanie weather,” said senior midfielder John Hanscom. “So I think just having that mindset of we love the beanie weather, we want that. We knew that they were coming down from northern California where it’s a little more mild and it’s just that drive we had in the heat. We’re not taking a tie, we’re not taking a loss, a win is what we’re getting and we’ll work as hard as we have to.”

Biola kicked off their second to last home game with the first goal of the game. Junior midfielder Devin Leon shot on goal 24 minutes into the second half that ricocheted off the left post. Hanscom collected the rebound and found the back of the net for his third goal in two games. Biola entered the half with a 1-0 lead.

Shortly after the beginning of the second half, the Oaks tied up the game with what would be their only goal in the game. Biola quickly regained the lead when senior midfielder Joey O’Keefe headed a throw in to sophomore midfielder Jarrett Pugh. Pugh fire the ball past the goalie for his first goal of the season.

Senior forward Stephen Tanquary placed the finishing touches on the Eagles 3-1 victory when he successfully converted on a penalty kick drawn from Hanscom.

This win currently places Biola on top of the Golden State Athletic Conference with their season record of 8-3-1 and conference record of 4-0-1. Their next game is away against San Diego Christian College on Oct. 13.