Hawks drop in three

The women’s volleyball team earns another conference win by beating San Diego Christian on Sept. 29.

Marika Adamopoulos

Senior Britta Blaser leaps high for ball in the game on Sept. 22. | Olivia Plew/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The No. 1 Biola volleyball team has yet to learn how to lose as they earned another Golden State Athletic Conference win on Sept. 29 against San Diego Christian College. The Hawks entered the game with a 7-6 record while being 2-4 in GSAC.

San Diego started off the match with two quick points and did not give up their lead until the score was 10-8 in their advantage. Biola answered by scoring five straight points, bringing the score to 13-10. The Eagles held on to the lead for the rest of the set and closed it out with a score of 25-18. Senior setter Ashton Arbuthnot fed three straight kills out to senior outside hitters Joclyn Kirton, Britta Blaser and freshman outside hitter Christina DenBoer.

Biola carried their momentum into the second set, jumping to an early 5-0 lead. The Eagles did not give up the lead and finished in similar fashion, three straight sets by Arbuthnot for kills. The kills came in crucial timing as the Hawks were sneaking back into the set, down 22-19. Senior middle blocker Lauren Hoenecke, senior outside hitter Alyssa Mason and DenBoer earned the final points for Biola.

The Hawks made one final attempt to win a set, starting off the third with a 2-0 advantage. The Eagles quickly shut them down, scoring seven points in a row to secure a third set lead of 7-2. Biola retained the lead for the rest of the match and defeated San Diego by a third set score of 25-16.

Mason led the Eagles in kills with 11 kills, three blocks and an ace. Kirton recorded 10 kills of her own while Arbuthnot led the team in assists with 27. Sophomore libero Tess Van Grouw served three aces and made 10 digs.

Biola now holds a season record of 15-0 while being 7-0 in conference. Their next match is against Vanguard University on the road on Oct. 6.