Golf tees off at Firestorm Invitational

Biola men and women’s golf had a strong first day as the women finished the day in second place and the men in third.

Jack Finck, Writer

The men’s and women’s golf team hit the tee box for the first time this year in Arizona Christian University’s Firestorm Fall Invitational at the Verrado Golf Club on Sept. 14. After the first day of competition the Firestorm leads both the men and women’s team leaderboard with the Eagles not too far behind.

Freshman Mychaela Graf currently sits on top of the women’s leader board with a one shot lead over the next highest woman golfer in the tournament. This is Graf’s first tournament for Biola. The next highest Eagle is sophomore Lauren Van Horn in a three way tie for seventh with her score of 10 over par.

As a team, the women are comfortably placed in second, holding a 12 stroke lead over the next best Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and only trail the Firestorm by five strokes.

The men’s team is currently led by senior William Langworthy and freshman Austin Bishop who are tied with each other in third place at one shot over par after the first two rounds. Bishop moved up 11 places on the leaderboard after shooting a tournament high second round of two under par.  

The men’s team currently sits third out of the seven teams in the tournament with both William Jessup University and Marymount California University one shot behind them. They have their work cut out for them as they try to make up the 12 shot difference between them and the leading Firestorm while focusing on the teams threatening to pass them up.

Biola will attempt to continue their early round success when the tournament continues on its final day, Sept.