Women’s soccer soars past Pomona

Venegas scores her first goal of the season and goes on to make a hat trick, giving the Eagles a 3-1 victory over Pomona-Pitzer.

Senior midfielder Amanda Lillicrop competes for the ball at the game against Concordia University last season. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Keaton Moore, Writer

Women’s soccer kicked off a four game road trip on Sept. 12 with a 3-1 victory over Pomona-Pitzer. Thanks to three goals from senior forward Taylor Venegas in the second period, the Eagles now stand undefeated with a 4-0-1 record.

The score remained 0-0 in the first period with eight shots from Biola and five from Pomona-Pitzer. The first goal of the game was made during the 46th minute by Venegas giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead. However, Pomona-Pitzer was quick to strike back with a game-tying goal in the 50th  minute by sophomore midfielder McKenna Marmelstein.

Three minutes later, assisted by junior midfielder Jessie Burns, Venegas scored another goal and once again gave the Eagles the lead. With the score 2-1 in the 88th minute, Venegas wrapped up her incredible game with another goal off of a corner kick, cushioning Biola’s lead to 3-1. The match ended with Venegas scoring her first three goals of the season and the Eagles increasing their record to 4-0-1.

Senior goaltender Amanda Johnson played the full game, allowing only one goal and having six saves out of 11 shots from Pomona-Pitzer. Prior to this match Venegas was unable to make a goal in the eight shots she had in her first four games. In the game against Pomona-Pitzer she had four out of five shots on goal and made three goals in the second half.

The Eagles will continue their four game road trip at UC Merced on Sept. 16 at 1 p.m. to take on the undefeated Bobcats.