Perfect performance

Biola volleyball finishes The Master’s College Labor Day tournament with sweep of CSU San Marcos.

Anna Warner/THE CHIMES

Senior libero Charley Parker bumps the ball at the game against San Diego Christian last season. | Anna Warner/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Biola Eagles’ women’s volleyball team dispatched the CSU San Marcos Cougars in three sets in the last day of play at The Master’s College Labor Day tournament. This was Biola’s fourth straight three-set victory, and it tied the Eagles’ last match with Capilano for the fastest match of the season, as it only needed an hour and five minutes to wrap up. With this win, Biola improves to 8-0 heading into the beginning of the regular season.

Biola started off very strong in the first set, grabbing a quick 10-2 lead. Both teams then added two points each, then the Eagles’ offense exploded. They went on an 11-0 run to give them a 22-4 lead. CSUSM scored three points of their own, then Biola sealed the deal by scoring the final three points, giving them a final score of 25-7 in the first set.

CSUSM improved over the next two sets dramatically, losing the second 25-15 and the third 25-20, but would never have quite enough firepower to take a set off of Biola. The Cougars ended the match with a total kill percentage of -.012, as they got 19 kills and 20 errors, compared to Biola’s kill percentage of .277 off of 46 kills and only 16 errors. The only area CSUSM beat Biola was in blocking, as they amassed 14 compared to Biola’s 12.

Seniors Joclyn Kirton and Alyssa Mason led Biola in kills, at 11 and 10, respectively. Mason also contributed three solo blocks from the middle position. Another senior middle blocker, Lauren Hoenecke, made her mark by leading all players in kill percentage, as her six kills out of nine attempts and only one error earned her a .556 kill percent. Other notable Eagles included senior Crissy Cunningham and sophomore Tess van Grouw, both of whom helped out Biola with three aces.

Biola’s next match is the GSAC season opener, a home game against Arizona Christian University on September 11 at 7 p.m.