Short and sweep

Biola volleyball sweeps both of their opponents in The Master’s College Labor Day tournament.

Senior middle blocker Amy Weststeyn celebrates with her teammates after a great play at the game against Texas-Brownsville last season. | Zoe Lewis/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Dale Fredriks, Writer

The Biola Eagles defeated the Carroll College Saints and the Capilano University Blues in straight sets on Friday, the first day of The Master’s College Labor Day tournament. These victories continue Biola’s perfect record, moving them to 7-0 for the season.

The first match of the day occurred at 1 p.m. when Biola faced off against Carroll College from Montana. The Saints came in with a 3-2 season record, and looked to avenge their loss against the Eagles at last year’s Big Sky tournament. Biola would not be denied the victory, and went on to not only win in three sets (25-19, 25-18, 27-25), but the Eagles tied or beat Carroll in every stats column. Biola had 46 kills to Carroll’s 35, achieved six aces while the Saints came up with five, and put up 40 assists compared to Carroll’s 31. The only area in which Carroll tied Biola was blocks, where each team ended with nine.

In terms of individual stats, Biola’s senior outside hitter, Joclyn Kirton, led all players with 13 kills. Seniors Alyssa Mason and Britta Blaser also did their part in the match, each contributing nine kills. Another senior, Ashton Arbuthnot, contributed to the Eagles’ cause with four aces.

The second team Biola faced was the Capilano University Blues, who came down from British Columbia for the meeting. Just as against Carroll, Biola only needed three sets and just over an hour to get past Capilano. Biola took the first 25-18, the second 25-11, and the third with another 25-18 score.

Mason again had another solid outing for the Eagles, this time leading all scorers with 14 kills. Sophomore Ally Forsberg and freshman Christiana Denboer each contributed seven kills, and sophomore Tess van Grouw contributed three aces in the easy victory.

The Eagles’ next match is against the CSU San Marcos Cougars at 10 a.m. on the final day of The Master’s College Labor Day tournament.