Knocked out of Ojai

The Biola women’s tennis team lost in the first round of the Ojai Valley Tournament, ending their season.

Junior Kathryn Ashford slams the ball during her singles match against Arizona Christian University on Feb. 6. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola women’s tennis season came to an end on April 23 when Biola was unable to reach the second round of the Ojai Valley Tournament. This is the second year in a row the Eagles have come home from Ojai without a win.

SEALING THE MATCH

Sophomore Kelsey Post nearly won her first set, losing in the tiebreaker 4-7. Her opponent carried the momentum of the close first set victory to seal the match with a 6-0 second set. Post was the only player for Biola to earn more than one game against her opponent.

The Eagles had similar results in the doubles bracket. Seniors Jax Mota and Lauren Vogel played their last college doubles match against a doubles team from Whittier College. The Poets won 6-1, 6-1.

SCHEDULE DIFFERENCES

Biola finished their season holding a record of 4-19 and 2-10 in the Golden State Athletic Conference. The only conference wins earned by Biola were against Hope International University, who went without a win in conference this season.

The Eagles’ four wins are three less than last season. The decline is mainly due to schedule differences. Four of the teams Biola beat in 2014 were not in the schedule this season, and Missouri Baptist University was the only team added to the 2015 season schedule that lost to Biola.

REBUILDING THE PROGRAM

Three seniors are graduating before the 2016 tennis season for the Eagles, including third singles player Susan Carmichael and sixth singles player Vogel.

The women’s tennis program will continue to attempt rebuilding the program during this offseason. Biola has not held a winning record in eight years, coming the closest in 2010 when the team finished with a .409 winning percentage.