Softball stretches winning streak

The Biola softball team improved to a five game winning streak as they beat both Arizona Christian University and California State University-San Marcos twice this week.

Freshman Terri Van Dagens setting up her pitch during the softball game on Feb. 17.  | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Jack Finck, Writer

No. 16 Biola hosted Arizona Christian University on March 27, followed by another doubleheader against No. 8 California State University-San Marcos on March 28. The Eagles shutout their opponents in three of their four games, and won each of them to improve their win streak to five.

The first game against ACU began with five scoreless innings. In the bottom of the second inning, the Eagles had two outs with runners on second and third. Sophomore Kasey Hormel shot a double down the right field line, scoring both runners. Biola was able to hold their lead, thanks to seven shutout innings by senior right-handed pitcher Reba DePriest. DePriest struck out 10 of her 24 batters faced. The Eagles won 2-0.

Biola scored early in the second game due to a two-run home run by junior third baseman Heather Hall to put the Eagles up 2-0. After three scoreless innings, Biola added to their lead. With runners on first and second, freshman utility player Anjie Amezquita singled to right field, scoring one runner and advancing the other to third. Senior Ashley Spadt followed with a squeeze bunt that brought Spadt safely to first and scored the runner. Junior catcher Bria Madrid put the final nail in the coffin by hitting a two RBI single to right field. Biola won 6-0.

DePriest earned her second shutout of the weekend in the Eagles first game against San Marcos. In seven innings, DePriest struck out 13 batters and only allowed three hits. Senior shortstop Sarah Stromwell started the offense for the Eagles with an RBI double in the second. Biola added to their score with a three run third inning, thanks to RBI singles by Hormel and Spadt. Biola won 6-0.

San Marcos put up a bigger fight in the second game. Biola scored four runs in the first inning off of a double by Hall and a home run by freshman first baseman Selina Sherlin. The Cougars answered with three runs of their own in the second, followed by a solo home run by Bri Madrid. After two innings, Biola held the lead 5-3. San Marcos added four runs to their score in the fourth followed by a single run in the sixth. With an inning and a half left, the Cougars led 8-5.

Biola rallied in the sixth inning. Senior outfielder Brooke Madrid drove in an RBI with a double hit to left center. The Cougars then sacrificed their lead by throwing errors the Eagles took advantage of when both of the Madrid sisters reached home to tie the game. The winning run came by a single to center hit by Sherlin. Biola won 9-8.

The Eagles now hold a season record of 26-10, while being 10-4 in conference. Their next games are away against Azusa Pacific University on April 2. APU currently sits 22-19 on the season and beat Biola twice last year.