Eagles take two on Firestorm

The Biola softball team beat Arizona Christian University at home twice on March 27.

Jack Finck, Writer

The No. 16 Biola softball team hosted Arizona Christian University on March 27 for the second doubleheader between these two teams of the season. Biola beat Firestorm in Arizona 5-0, and 10-7 earlier this year.

The first game remained scoreless until the bottom of the sixth inning. Freshman first baseman Selina Sherlin hit a single that advanced junior third baseman Heather Hall to third base. With two outs, sophomore outfielder Kasey Hormel drove the ball down the right field line, bringing home both of the runners. The Eagles followed with three quick outs in the field to finish the game 2-0.

Senior right-handed pitcher Reba DePriest pitched a complete game shutout for the Eagles. While on the mound she faced 24 batters and struck out 10. DePriest currently holds a season record of 14-3.

“Staying together as a team [was a key to winning the game],” DePriest said. “And fighting through until someone scored.”

The Eagles earned a quick advantage in the second game, scoring two runs in the first inning thanks to a two run home run by Hall. Biola extended their lead in the fifth inning when Hormel earned an RBI with a single with two on. Senior Ashley Spadt scored another runner with a pinch-hit bunt. Junior catcher Bria Madrid capped off the inning for the Eagles with a two RBI single, resulting in a 6-0 final score.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Kimmy Triolo earned the win with her six shutout innings on the mound. Triolo struck out four batters while limiting Firestorm to two hits.

“Loving each other and having energy to stay with it [is the team’s main focus],” Hormel said, “and keeping faith in God that he’ll get us where we need to go.”

The Eagles currently hold a season record of 24-10 while being 10-4 in conference. Biola’s next game is at home against California State University-San Marcos on March 28. The Cougars hold a 22-6 season record and split games with the Eagles earlier this season.