Senators evaluate annual town hall meeting

After discussing town hall meetings in recent years, Hormel asks senators to speak with residents regarding this year’s attendance.

Grace Gibney, Writer

This week’s Associated Student’s senate meeting began with an announcement from AS President Tyler Hormel describing plans for this year’s student town hall meeting with President Barry Corey and PAC members. The town hall meeting may be altered due to a low number of students attending the meetings in recent years. Hormel asked senators to talk with residents regarding their interest in attending the town hall meeting this semester.

Proposals

Anders Corey, AS vice president of Marketing and Communications, proposed $285 to fund the position of Visual Brand Manager for AS this semester. The position would visually set the tone and identity of SGA’s brand next year through social media and online advertising with a constant flow of graphics. If deemed essential, the position will become available for the duration of the 2015-2016 school year.

Liam Timoti, sophomore communications major, proposed $4,297 to fund Hart Hall’s annual Heat of the Night event on May 8 from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. This year’s theme, “Heat, Hart, Games,” centers around a board game theme and would feature various dorm rooms decorated like different games. The event would be open to students, faculty, family and alumni.

Melissa McAllister, senior film major, proposed $1,000 to fund the annual Biola Film Festival on Friday, April 24 at 3 p.m. The event would screen 15 student submitted films for students to watch with a Q&A session afterwards with the film directors. Many of the works include short films, documentaries and music videos. Faculty members select 24 award recipients for different categories from each film to receive recognition.

Voting

Corey’s proposal passed unanimously for the full amount of $285.

Timoti and McAllister’s proposals will be voted on during next week’s senate meeting.