Three down, three to go

The men’s tennis team went 2-3 in their weekend matches and prepare for three more matches beginning on Monday.

Laurie Bullock, Writer

The men’s tennis team pounded out three matches in three days March 19-22. Biola won two out of the three matches to put their overall record at 7-8 and their conference record at 3-4.

On Thursday the Eagles quickly dominated the Cougars with the team’s first 9-0 victory since 2011. The entire match lasted a little over two hours. Freshman Phillip Westwood had a standout performance by not allowing his opponent to win a game and finished both of his sets 6-0.

The next day the Eagles pushed to get a 5-4 victory over Golden State Athletic Conference opponent Arizona Christian University.

The match against the Firestorm started off shaky for the Eagles, who went into doubles with only one win from sophomore Luke Mountain and Westwood.

Freshman Joe Turnquist’s match secured the Eagles’ victory in the fives spot. Turnquist split his matches with his opponent with a 6-3 win in the first set and then falling 2-6 in the second set. For the third set Turnquist came out to win 6-3.

Biola’s final match of the weekend was against Middlebury College to end their two-match win streak. The Eagles once again got off to a rough start in doubles, only this time dropping all three against Middlebury to go into singles trailing behind 0-3.

The Eagles’ two wins came from Westwood, who defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-0 and senior Brandon Chang with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

Biola will not have much time to rest, with three more back-to-back games beginning with Williamette University at home on March 23 at 2 p.m.