Women snap losing streak

The women’s tennis team ended their losing streak by beating Principia College on March 10.

Jack Finck, Writer

The women’s tennis team played Principia College on March 10. Biola beat the Panthers by a score of 7-2 last season and earned a victory again this season by a score of 6-3. This was a needed win for the Eagles, as they were previously on a six match losing streak with only one win in the season.

Biola started the match with two doubles wins. Junior Kathryn Ashford and freshman Brooke Sanford outscored their opponents 8-3 in second doubles, and senior Lauren Vogel and sophomore Taylor Dantuma defeated their opponents by the same score in third doubles. Biola entered singles with an early match lead of 2-1.

The Eagles also dominated in singles. Sophomore Madeline Heer made quick work of her opponent at second singles, beating her by a score of 6-0, 6-2.

“I played very focused,” said Heer. “[I] tried not to go for too much and played smart.”

Junior Susan Carmichael earned the most decisive win for the Eagles at third singles. Carmichael held her opponent from winning a single game, winning the match 6-0, 6-0. Biola’s other wins came from Sanford at fifth singles, and Vogel from her match at sixth singles.

“I think we all just went into it with a good attitude,” said Heer. “That we were going to play our best today and I think we all did.”

The Eagles now hold a season record of 2-8 and 1-5 in conference. Their next match is against Sewanee: University of the South on March 17. The Tigers currently hold a season record of 5-2.