Disneyland price increase frustrates students

U.S. Disney theme parks rose their ticket and annual pass prices, breaking the $100 ticket price line and affecting Biola students’ wallets.

Sarah Pineda, Writer

Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World increased their ticket and annual pass prices on Feb. 22, putting a more expensive price tag for Biola students to visit the “Happiest Place on Earth.”

Disneyland adult ticket prices rose from $96 to $99, and tickets for children ages 3 to 9 went from $90 to $93. Premium annual passes, which include parking and no blackout dates, increased by 11 percent from $699 to $779. As one of the first theme parks to exceed the $100 ticket mark, single-day tickets at Walt Disney World increased from $96 to $105. Despite Disneyland’s measles outbreak in January, their attendance continues to climb, along with the rising anticipation of Disneyland’s 60th anniversary in May.

“A day at a Disney Park is unlike any other in the world, and there is strong demand for our attractions and entertainment,” said Betsy Sanchez, manager of media relations in an email statement.

Disney Parks previously raised their prices in May 2014. Although the new price increase has been the smallest in 10 years, single-day ticket prices at Disneyland have increased by more than 140 percent since 2000, according to the Orange County Register.

“Like any business we evaluate our pricing and adjust it on a variety of factors,” said a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

Disneyland provides sixteen hours of entertainment on school days, sharing the same price as a professional sports game or Broadway theatre show, who provide only three hours of entertainment, explained a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

STUDENTS REACT

With a 15 minute drive from Biola to Disneyland, many Biola students are annual passholders who have expressed their anguish over the price increase on purchasing annual passes and their renewal price as well.

“I think it’s ridiculous because Disney already makes enough money. The pass is expensive, the food is expensive and I think it’s frustrating,” said Madeline Koble, freshman liberal studies education major and annual passholder.

Destinee Barrera, freshman elementary education major, bought her deluxe annual pass six months ago with her graduation money and still plans on renewing her pass even with the price increase.

“It’s crazy and sad because a lot of people aren’t able to go because of the prices,” said Barrera.

Biola student and Disneyland cast member, Missy Climer, a freshman broadcast journalism major, disagrees with the price increase for ticket and annual passes but explains the experience is worth it.

“The 60th anniversary is here so we’re building new things and really giving Disney a fresh look,” said Climer.