Individuals shine despite loss

The Biola women’s tennis team broke their two game 0-9 streak by losing to California Lutheran University 3-6 on March 6.

Junior Kathryn Ashford striking the ball during a game this season. | Marissa Osswald/THE CHIMES[file photo]

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola women’s tennis team played California Lutheran University March 6. The Eagles siphoned three matches from the Regals, but lost the match to a final score of 3-6.

Biola’s first win came in doubles. Juniors Kathryn Ashford and Susan Carmichael defeated their opponents in a tiebreaker after bringing the match to 8-8. Biola finished doubles down 1-2.

Ashford secured another match victory for Biola in singles. After two close sets, Ashford beat her opponent 7-5, 7-6, 7-4. The Eagles last individual win came from second singles. Sophomore Madeline Heer rallied and won her first set 7-5, but her opponent rallied in the second to win in the tiebreak. The third set and match was decided by a super-tiebreaker which Heer won 10-7.

The Regals have beaten the Eagles by a score of 6-3 for the last three seasons. Biola now holds a season record of 1-8. Their next match is at home against Principia College on March 10. Principia holds a record of 2-3 and have yet to win a match on the road this season.