Pressing on through the storm

Mens golf team perseveres after a difficult tournament at The Masters College Spring Invitational.

Photo Courtesy of Jeff Hoffman [file photo]

Lauren Peterson, Writer

After a stormy two-day tournament Mar. 2-3 in Santa Clarita, Calif. for the The Master’s College Spring Invitational, the men’s golf team managed to keep out of last place, finishing 14th out of 15 teams.

“I couldn’t feel my hands,” freshman Samuel Shih said as he explained the cold and windy weather.

A tough weather situation on Monday led to requiring a majority of the tournament to be pushed back to Tuesday. Although the sun was shining on the second day, the Eagles struggled through the 36-hole round, trying their best to score low on a course that was in bad condition due to the storm.

Despite the stormy conditions, junior captain William Langworthy managed to guide the team by shooting in the 70’s all three rounds, turning in an impressive combined total of a 226, scoring 76, 73 and 77, respectively. As one of the leaders of the team, both on and off the course, he explained that he works hard to motivate the team even after having a rough round.

“My goal for the team is to play the best that we can,” said Langworthy. “We are constantly striving to improve.”

Although the team has been fighting to turn in low scores, Langworthy has thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity of being the team’s captain.

After battling through the first day, the Eagles were sitting at 12th place, but unfortunately were unable to keep their spot after the second day. The Eagles completed the tournament by shooting a total of a 951, 87 strokes over par. Lucas Kinan finished the tournament right behind Langworthy, coming in only 22 strokes over par, just two shots away from finishing in the 70’s for all three rounds. Cameron Bauer, Samuel Shih and Joel Smith also contributed their scores to the team by finishing the tournament with totals of 246, 252 and 256.

“The community of our team is great,” Shih said. “We are a very encouraging team, constantly trying to uplift each other. We aren’t reaching our potential, but we’re getting there. We’re making progress.”

Samuel mentioned that their head coach, Hank Woodrome, has played a key role in helping the team stay positive.

“He’s one of the best coaches in the area. He really cares about the team and wants us to do well. We want to make him proud.”

After a difficult tournament, the Eagles hope to improve in their final two tournaments of the season. They will compete next in the CBU Invitational on March 23-24.