Regular season ends in one point loss

The women’s basketball team came back from an 11-point deficit in the first half against Westmont College, but lost by one point.

Shonnell Hoyt, a freshman on the women’s basketball team, takes control of the court during their final home game against Arizona Christian. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

The women’s basketball team dropped 69-68 to Westmont College in the final game of regular season on Feb. 28. The loss puts the Eagles’ overall record at 16-14 and their Golden State Athletic Conference record at 8-8.

Biola struggled to hit their shots from beyond the arc, making only 28 percent of their three-pointers for the entire game. The Eagles also committed 16 fouls throughout the game and gave the Warriors the opportunity to sink 13 out 17 of their free throws.

The first half started out slow for Biola, who fell behind by seven points five minutes into the game. Biola chipped away at Westmont’s lead to trail by one point with less than ten minutes to play in the first half. However the Warriors continued to build onto that lead to sit at a comfortable 11 points ahead of Biola at the end of the half.

The Eagles turned things around in the second half, outscoring Westmont 41-31. Unfortunately, the lead the Warriors established in the first half gave them barely enough security to end the game one point over Biola 69-68.

The Eagles now enter the Golden State Athletic Conference championship tournament for a chance to play in the NAIA tournament. Biola travels to The Master’s College on March 4 for the opening round of playoffs. The last time Biola played The Master’s, the Mustangs defeated the Eagles by 31 points.