Warriors blow through Biola

The Biola women’s tennis team suffered a 0-9 loss to No. 11 Westmont College on Feb. 28.

Junior Kathryn Ashford slams a ball across the net to her Hope International opponent. Ashford won both her singles and doubles match last season. | Amylia Lewis/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola women’s tennis team played No. 11 Westmont College on Feb. 28. The Warriors who defeated Biola 0-9 twice last season made quick work of the Eagles, outscoring them 0-9. Biola has not beaten the Warriors in five years.

Biola’s top singles player, No. 28 junior Kathryn Ashford played No. 6 Lauren Stratman. Stratman beat Ashford 6-0, 6-0 last season and again defeated Ashford without giving up a game.

The only singles player to push their match into three sets was sophomore Madeline Heer in second singles. Heer won her first set 6-2, but only won three games in the next two sets. Her opponent won with a score of 6-2, 1-6, 0-6.

The Eagles’ closest match was in third doubles. Senior Lauren Vogel and freshman Brooke Sanford came within two games of the Warriors, losing by a score of 7-9.

Biola now holds a season record of 1-7, while being 1-5 in conference. Their next match is against California Lutheran University on Mar. 6. Cal Lutheran currently holds a season record of 2-2. Biola lost to the Kingsman 3-6 last season.