Team faces difficult schedule

The women’s tennis team lost both of their matches this week against the No. 15 Vanguard University and the undefeated Brigham Young University of Hawaii.

The women’s tennis team joyfully gathered together despite their losses this weekend. | Marissa Osswald/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The women’s tennis team continued with their slow start to the season this week, losing to the No. 15 Vanguard University on Feb. 20 and Brigham Young University of Hawaii on Feb. 21.

Biola won on the top doubles court against Vanguard. Sophomore Madeline Heer and Kelsey Post overpowered their opponents to finish with a match score of 8-4. The Lions won the other two doubles positions and Biola entered singles down 1-2.

The Eagles were able to win the top position in singles as well, but the Lions revealed once again the depth of their lineup. Junior Kathryn Ashford finished her opponent in two sets with a score of 6-4, 7-5.

Heer and Post were both able to push their singles match into a third set, but failed to close the match in a victory. The Lions maintained their composure as both Biola players only managed to win one game in the final set. Biola lost the match 2-7.

Biola’s next match was against the undefeated Brigham Young University of Hawaii. Before playing the Eagles, the Seasiders suffered only one individual match loss in their five team matches of the season.

The Eagles suffered across the lineup. Ashford and junior Susan Carmichael came the closest to their opponents at second doubles, losing by a score of 4-8. Biola did not stay long on the courts in singles as no player earned more than three games in a set. The Seasiders won by a decisive 9-0.

“Our girls fought hard,” said head coach Dee Henry. “They kept their heads, they tried to adjust their game. The other team was a very good team.”

Biola’s next match is against the No. 11 Westmont College on Feb. 28. The Warriors currently hold a record of 6-2 while being 4-1 in conference.