Biola wins top spots, loses match

The women’s tennis team lost to Vanguard University 7-3 Feb. 20, but had a few standout performances.

Senior Lauren Vogel striking the ball during the match against Vanguard University on Feb 20. | Marissa Osswald/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Biola competed against Vanguard University at home on Feb. 20 for the first time this season. The Lions beat the Eagles twice last year, most recently by a score of 8-1. Biola improved upon that score and lost 2-7 after a few hard-fought matches, including wins from their top singles and doubles.

Doubles earned Biola’s first match point. Sophomores Madeline Heer and Kelsey Post outplayed the Lion’s top doubles, finishing with a score of eight games to six. This marked Heer and Post’s second doubles win this season.

Biola’s second win came from the top singles court. Junior Kathryn Ashford defeated Vanguard’s new recruit 6-4 in the first set, and continued to win a close second set 7-5. Ashford holds the highest winning percentage on her team with three wins and three losses.

Post stayed on the courts the longest for the Eagles in her three set battle at fourth singles. After a dominating first set win 6-1, her opponent stuck out a determined 2-6, 1-6.

The Eagles currently hold a season record of 1-5 and look to improve against Brigham Young University Hawaii Feb. 21. The Seasiders have only lost one individual match in the five team matches played this year.