Softball sweeps La Sierra

The Biola softball team took both victories in the doubleheader against La Sierra University on Feb. 20.

Jack Finck, Writer

The softball team traveled to Riverside on Feb. 20 to play La Sierra University in back-to-back games. Biola won the first game 11-2, and finished the sweep with a second game score of 7-1.

Three of Biola’s runs came in the third inning thanks to a triple hit down the right field line by sophomore outfielder Kasey Hormel. Biola led La Sierra 4-2 at the end of the third.

Biola continued to score an unanswered seven runs in the final three innings. Four runs resulted from crucial errors and walks committed by La Sierra in the fourth inning, and three more thanks to a two RBI single by freshman utility player Anjie Amezquite in the sixth.  

Senior right-handed pitcher Reba DePriest earned the win for her performance from the mound. Depriest kept La Sierra scoreless, threw four strikeouts and only allowed one hit for the little over three innings she pitched.  

The Eagles put numbers on the scoreboard early in the second game. Junior utility player Iliana Morales fired a line drive down the left field line to send sister duo, senior outfielder Brooke Madrid and junior catcher Bria Madrid, safely home. Biola led La Sierra 2-0 after the first innings.  

The next scoring did not occur until the fourth inning when Brooke Madrid hit a double, sending home a runner in the process. Madrid made it safely home thanks to a single by junior third baseman Heather Hall.  

Amezquite extended Biola’s lead with a two RBI double in the fifth inning, making the score 6-0. Both teams scored one last run to finish the game, generating a final score of 7-1.

Biola now holds a season record of 10-4. Their next games will be another doubleheader at home against Vanguard University Feb. 24. The Lions have only lost one game this season and currently hold an undefeated record on the road.