No love for baseball on V-Day

Baseball drifts to the bottom of the GSAC standings after Westmont sweeps weekend series.

Senior Garrett Picha pitching during the home game against Westmont on Feb. 14 | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Biola baseball dropped Saturday’s doubleheader to Golden State Athletic Conference rival Westmont College by scores of 7-5 and 11-1. Following Friday’s 8-0 shutout, the losses led to a sweep by the Warriors, the second time in 2015 that the Eagles have been swept.

The morning game held the most drama of the weekend series. Biola jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning highlighted by a two-out, RBI double by sophomore Jimmy Gallarda. The Warriors bounced back with runs in the 3rd, 5th and 7th to claim a 6-2 advantage. However, Biola battled to pick up three runs in the 8th to close the gap, but went one-two-three in the ninth to drop Saturday’s opener.

Sophomore Eric Diomartich went six innings, giving up just one earned run on seven hits, but was saddled with the loss as three errors and five unearned runs doomed the Eagles.

The afternoon finale was not any closer. Daniel Jang, who has spent much of the year in relief and closing, got the start for Biola. The freshman right-hander gave up four runs on five hits in just an inning and two-thirds of work. Westmont scored three in the first, two in the second and three in the fourth to march on to a 11-1 victory.

Despite starting the season 3-2, the Eagles have won just one game since. At 2-10 in the conference play and 4-11 overall, Biola sits tied with San Diego Christian College at the bottom of the GSAC standings.

The Eagles open a three-game series this weekend against Arizona Christian University, who at 3-9 on the season, sit middle of the pack in conference.