Tennis drops to Concordia University

Both tennis teams dropped their matches to Concordia University.

Junior Kathryn Ashford returns a serve during her singles match against her Concordia University opponent on Feb. 17 | Marissa Osswald/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Both tennis teams suffered a tough loss to Concordia University on Feb. 17. The men were not able to pick up a win and ended the day 9-0 against No. 11 Concordia. The women were able to nab two matches against Concordia, but ultimately fell 7-2.

One of the women’s two wins came from doubles partners, juniors Susan Carmichael and Kathryn Ashford, who defeated Kathrine Jensen and Caitlyn Uzzi 8-2. Carmichael almost won her singles match against Ulrike Hahn, going to three sets 7-5, 4-6 and 10-6.

Freshman Brooke Sanford was the only one on the women’s team to win her singles match. Sanford beat Jensen in two quick sets 6-4, 6-2.

The men had a few close matches throughout the day, freshman Phillip Westwood kept up with Moritz Pronath, but could not pull out a win within the sets 7-6, 6-3.

Doubles partners sophomore Luke Mountain and freshman Joe Turnquist had the closest match for the Eagles, dropping to Rafael Racy and Bernado Bertolucci 8-5.

The loss puts the women at 1-4 for their overall season and 1-4 in conference play. The men’s overall record is now 3-2 and 2-2 in conference play. Both teams will go up against Vanguard University Feb. 20.