Basketball splits conference games

The Biola men’s basketball team outscored William Jessup University on Jan. 29, but suffered a loss to Arizona Christian University Feb. 3.

Junior Christian Misi making a play against his opponents during the game on January 29. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola men’s basketball team played two teams from the Golden State Athletic Conference this week, beating William Jessup University at home on Jan. 29 followed by a loss to Arizona Christian University on Feb. 3.

Chase Gymnasium filled up on Feb. 3 to host the Eagle’s first home game of the spring semester against William Jessup. Biola lost to the Warriors 75-56 earlier this season.

“I think we cared more,” said sophomore guard Dakari Archer. “We played harder defense, we were in the gaps and we ran out to their shooters well.”

The extra effort earned Biola a 78-60 victory over the Warriors, pushing the Eagles ahead of William Jessup to sixth in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

“This was a big win,” said Archer. “I think this puts us in sixth place now. Now we have to build on this and we have momentum going into Arizona.”

Archer led the Eagles with 21 points and three assists, followed by senior guard Pierre Zook, who tallied 17 points, six rebounds and two assists. Senior forward Mike Kurtz guarded the rim by blocking five shots, grabbing 13 rebounds and scoring 12 points.

EAGLES VS. ARIZONA CHRISTIAN

“Our effort was a lot better,” said Zook. “Our defense was a lot better and we definitely moved the ball a lot better on offense, so it was a good win.”  

Biola traveled to Arizona Christian on Feb. 3 to play the No. 10 Firestorm for the second time this season. The Eagles were forced to play Arizona Christian at home, where ACU is now 12-0 this season.

The Eagles were able to hold the Firestorm to 70 points as they average 86 points this season, but could not generate enough offensively. Biola lost 65-70.

Three players for the Eagles scored in double-digits. Archer scored 21 points with 3 assists, followed by Zook with 19 points and 3 assists and Kurtz who scored 16 points and secured nine rebounds.

Archer has scored a total of more than 20 points in the last two games for Biola, and has averaged a team high of 14.7 points per game.  

The Eagles now hold a season record of 15-9, and are 3-7 in conference play. They rank sixth in GSAC and have five more regular season conference games to improve their record.

Their next game is away against San Diego Christian College Feb. 7. The Hawks currently have an eight game losing streak and hold a season record of 5-13. They currently rank last in GSAC standings with a 0-10 conference record. Biola beat the Hawks 61-58 earlier this season.