Eagles suffer road loss to Arizona Christian

The Arizona Christian University men’s basketball team remains undefeated at home this season as they beat the Eagles 70-65.

Freshman guard Steele Douglas flies through the air to make a layup in the second half of the game against La Sierra on Nov. 12. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The Biola men’s basketball team traveled to play No. 10 Arizona Christian University on Feb. 3. The Firestorm maintained their undefeated at home record as they beat the Eagles 70-65.  

Senior forward Mike Kurtz led the Eagles with 14 points and six rebounds in the first half, followed by senior guard Pierre Zook with five points, two rebounds and three assists.

Arizona Christian led Biola at halftime 28-24. The Eagles shot 65 percent from the field in the second half, thanks in part to sophomore guard Dakari Archer who scored 20 points on eight shots. Biola brought the game to a tie with eight minutes left but was not able to stop the Firestorm as they answered with an 8-0 run and held onto the lead for the rest of the game. Biola lost 65-70.  

Archer finished the game with 23 points, three assists and two rebounds. Zook earned 19 points three assists and four rebounds, and Kurtz grabbed nine rebounds along with 16 points.

Biola is now 3-7 in conference and holds a season record of 15-9. The Eagles’ next game is against San Diego Christian College on Feb. 7. The Hawks hold a season record of 5-13, and have yet to win a conference game. Biola beat San Diego Christian 61-58 earlier this season.