Coming to a close

Looking back at the ups and downs of Biola’s fall sports seasons.

Zoe Lewis, Jenny Oetzell, courtesy Allan and Jessi Kung, Molli Kaptein, Cherri Yoon/THE CHIMES [file photos]

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Biola’s fall sports officially came to an end with with the volleyball team’s final game in the semifinal match of the NAIA National Championship tournament. Overall, the teams made solid achievements throughout their seasons.

VOLLEYBALL

The volleyball team proved most successful for fall sports season. The Eagles made it to their eighth straight NAIA National Championship tournament. Unfortunately, the team’s campaign to win Biola’s first national championship ended in the semifinal round in a five set battle against Park University. The loss also ended a 20 match win streak for the Eagles.

The Eagles had a 32-5 overall record and a 15-1 conference record. Biola’s conference record made them co-champions with rival Concordia University. The Eagles also went undefeated on the road during conference and regular season play.

Senior outside hitter Amy Weststeyn was named NAIA player of the year and AVCA Southwest Region player of the year. Weststeyn finished her senior year in the top five for the NAIA in kills with 490 total. She also finished with an impressive 340 blocks.

Three juniors on the team joined Weststeyn on the 2014 NAIA All-American team. Middle blocker Lauren Hoenecke and outside hitters Alyssa Mason and Jocyln Kirton also received recognition for their work.

Although losing powerhouse Weststeyn, the majority of the team will return for the 2014 with seven juniors stepping into the role of senior leaders.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

The women’s soccer team had a phenomenal season with a 13-6 overall record and 6-4 in conference play. Despite the great run that included making it all the way to the semifinal round of the GSAC tournament, Biola came up short and did not make it to the NAIA Championship Tournament.

The women’s team loses their starting goalkeeper Briana Williams next season along with five other seniors who have had significant roles on the field this season.

MEN’S SOCCER

The men’s soccer team looked to return to the GSAC championship match in the hopes of avenging their 2013 loss to Concordia University. However, they were cut short in the first round of the tournament with a 2-0 loss to Vanguard University. The Eagles had a 7-6-4 overall record and a 4-3-3 conference record.

Freshman forward True Tamplin proved himself a standout player this year. Tamplin played in every match this season and had a total of five goals with a .722 shots on goal percentage.

The men have many returners for next season. Juniors J.T. Addington, John Hanscom, Joey O’Keefe and Stephen Tanquary will make up four of eight senior leaders on the team. The team will also have nine freshman stepping into larger roles for the team.

CROSS COUNTRY

The women’s cross country team looked to have a third straight GSAC Championship title, but fell short and ended up taking third place behind Westmont College and The Master’s College. The women’s team won three straight meets at the beginning of the year. Lone senior Carrie Soholt finished up her last season at Biola with an All-GSAC honor.

Senior Kevin Horchler had an outstanding season for the Eagles. Horchler took a first place finish in two of his races this year, including the GSAC Championship title. Horchler still has another year of eligibility and will return to the team next year.

Biola had a total of 15 GSAC Scholar-Athletes along with 14 NAIA Scholar-Athletes between three sports. Each team will have to make rearrangements within the roster to fill in the spots the graduating seniors will leave.