Eagles fall in final conference match

The women’s soccer team was defeated by William Jessup University.

Senior midfielder Miranda Starbeck heads the ball at the game against San Diego Christian College on Oct. 22. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Morgan Dworak, Writer

The women’s soccer team, ranked fourth in the Golden State Athletic Conference, fell short of a victory against William Jessup University Warriors in their last regular season game on Saturday, Nov. 1.

When the two teams met earlier in the season the Eagles finished with a win. The Eagles’ hard work and determination became evident in their continuous pursuit and aggressive approach during the full regulation and overtime periods. The women came out firing with 13 shots in the first half compared to William Jessup’s 9.

Junior midfielder Amanda Otto fired the first shot early in the first half and went high over the goal. A shot from both sophomore midfielder Mckenna Marmelstein and junior midfielder Adeline Saldana followed her attempt,, both saved by the Warrior’s goalkeeper, Hayleigh Lamping. The Eagles continuation in their pursuit resulted in a goal by Jessie Burns. Saldana sent a cross from the right side of the box to the far post where Burns headed it in.

Even with a goal on the board, the Eagles continued to fire and play a strong offensive game. Near the end of the half Lauren Young of William Jessup University found the back of the net to tie up the game.

In the second half the Warriors and Eagles went back and forth in their shot attempts until Kailee Soares put one in for the Warriors. Miranda Starbeck, assisted by Janae Megorden, answered with her fourth goal of the season, shot off of a low corner kick.  The second half concluded in a tie game sending the teams into overtime.

Although the Eagles beat the Warriors in shot attempts 6–0 in the first overtime, they ended up unsuccessful in scoring. The Eagles continued to control the offensive game, taking four shots at the goal in the second overtime, but the Warriors ended the game in their first attempt by Cara Eskanazi who scored her fourth goal of the season.