Five fall to Bethesda

The women’s team only played five guards in their recent loss against Bethesda University.

Sophomore guard Khadidja Diakite jumps to shoot a basket at the game against Simpson on Friday. | Cherri Yoon/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

The women’s team held their own against Bethesda University despite only having five guards playing for the entire game. The Eagles could not pull out a win and fell to Bethesda University 84-75.

Five guards represented Biola and held their own. The Eagles spread their offense to four players around the arc and one in the paint to allow for cuts and open three point plays. It worked a few times in Biola’s favor to take the lead three times in first half.

Biola stayed with Bethesda and finished the second half trailing by only one point, 33-32.

Bethesda capitalized on Biola’s worn out starters and subbed in five of their bench to start the second half of the game. The fresh Bethesda players established a 10-point lead in the first 10 minutes of the game. However, the Eagles fought hard and came back from the deficit to narrow the lead to two points three minutes later.

The Eagles could not grab the lead during the entire second half and ended up losing to Bethesda 80-74.

Bethesda struggled with personal fouls with a team total of 21. Biola played smart and scarce in their fouls with none of the players fouling out. Senior Desiree Robinson ended up being the only player who came close to fouling out with four personal fouls.

Junior Amanda Darouie proved Biola’s top scorer with 20 points and Robinson earned a double double with 13 points and 16 rebounds.

The Eagles will play in their first Golden State Athletic game against San Diego Christian College on Dec. 2 at 5:30 p.m. in Chase Gymnasium.