Eagles fly to 7-0

Men’s basketball kicks off their season with a winning streak.

Sophomore guard Grant Corsi jumps up to score against La Sierra on Nov. 12. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Jonah Hamilton, Writer

Biola’s men’s basketball team is off to its best start since 2010. That season saw them finish 28-6 and they advanced to the third round of the NAIA tournament. This season looks to hold as much promise.

The Eagles now stand 7-0 this season with their most recent 70-53 win over Pomona-Pitzer on Nov. 18. The Eagles’ defense forced their opponents into shooting a little less than 28 percent from the field while the Eagles’ made their shots at a rate slightly under 47 percent. Kurtz dropped a double-double on Pomona Pitzer with 20 points and 11 rebounds while shooting eight for 13 from the field.

The starters for Biola put up 58 points while clocking most of the minutes in an overall solid performance for the Eagles. The bench was not used much with only three reserves getting more than 10 minutes of court time. In contrast, Pomona-Pitzer’s bench put up 30 points and one reserve, senior guard Michael Cohen played 32 minutes while making six out of 21 shots for half of those 30 bench points.

The Eagles will not play again until Nov. 24, where they play Fisk University on a neutral court. This is the start of a three game barrage over the course of three days that will put Biola’s winning streak to the test.