Biola Basketball Wins Four More

The Eagles keep their undefeated season alive by winning four games this week.

Freshman guard Steele Douglas flies through the air to make a layup in the second half of the game against La Sierra on Nov. 12. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Biola men’s basketball tied the best start the team has had in eight years with their 5-0 opening record. Four of those victories have come in the last six days for the Eagles.

The men traveled to Riverside, California on Nov. 6 to play La Sierra University for their second game of the season. Biola outscored La Sierra early and won the game 88-66.

Biola started the game strong, scoring 46 points in the first half. The last time they scored above 45 to open a game was on Dec. 30, 2011 when they scored 48 against the University of Calgary. Biola entered the half 46-29 and continued to beat the Golden Eagles 88-66.

The Eagles returned home to beat Northwest University on Nov. 8, 68-52. Sophomore guard Dakari Archer led the the team with 18 points, four assists and two steals.

Biola started the game strong thanks to the perfect three point shooting of senior guard Pierre Zook. Zook went three for three beyond the arch, resulting in nine first-half points. The Eagles entered the half winning 32-25.

The Eagles continued to outplay Northwest in the second half. Senior forward Mike Kurtz helped out his team with nine points, seven rebounds and two blocks in the second half. Biola also received help from sophomore guard Grant Corsi who provided five points and five assists off the bench. Biola outscored Northwest 36-27 in the second half.

“It was a group effort,” said Archer. “It wasn’t anybody individually. I think everybody contributed in their own way, so it was a good team win.”  

The Eagles moved on to play Bethesda University at home on Nov. 11. Biola obtained the lead early and held onto it for most of the game. Kurtz helped his team by scoring 11 points and securing five boards in the first half. The Eagles entered the half 31-26.

Bethesda shot the ball poorly in the second half, shooting only 24 percent from the floor and 12.5 percent behind the arch. Zook scored 14 second-half points to help his team hold on to the lead and finish the game 62-50.

“Tonight, we didn’t play our best ball, but we fought through adversity,” said Zook. “I think it was a good team win again.”

Zook was five for six behind the arc tonight and has made five three-point baskets in each of the last three games, shooting 75 percent from deep range.

La Sierra traveled to Biola Nov. 12 for a rematch of Biola’s victory six days prior. After dominating the first half 44-24, Biola was able to coast to a victory while giving their bench players extended minutes. The Eagles won the game 78-48.  

The second half gave Biola an opportunity to spread the playing minutes between players on the bench. Freshman guard Steele Douglas made the most of his time, producing six points and two rebounds in seven minutes. Biola outscored La Sierra in the second half 34-24.

“It was just a great team win from the top down,” said Kurtz. “We need the young guys just as much as they need us. It was fun just to watch the young guys come up and get to play. They work just as hard as we do day in and day out so it was fun to see them get in and have fun as well.”  

Biola now stands 5-0 for the season and will move on to play University of California Merced on Nov. 15. The Bobcats currently rank 0-4 this season.