Strength together

Justice, Spirituality and Education Conference sponsored by the school of education centers around the theme “Strength Together.”

Jenna Kubiak, Writer

The Rwandan phrase “dukomanzanye,” meaning “strength together,” emphasized unity in the midst of the Rwandan genocide conflict and serves as the theme of this year’s Justice, Spirituality and Education Conference.

The conference will analyze the power of unity and the importance of learning from others on Nov. 14-15. It will host 24 speakers from Biola, other universities such as Azusa Pacific University, Chapman University and Claremont Graduate University, and organizations such as Word Made Flesh will host 22 workshop sessions.

The biblical background for “Strength Together” is based on Paul’s discussion on the church as one body in Ephesians chapter four. Furthermore, the conference also ties into Biola’s theme of “Life Together,” said David Costillo, recruiting and community relations coordinator for the school of education.

UNITY IN COMMUNITY

Costillo said the conference promotes unity within the university by helping students and faculty from all academic disciplines apply what they learn in academic settings to promote change in the community, church or classroom.

“We’re looking at how we need each other to help figure out what we’re doing across the university and globally,” Costillo said.

Glen Kinoshita, director of multiethnic programs and development will speak at a breakout session entitled “Dawn in the Darkness: Building an Inclusive Biblical Paradigm,” which is also the name of a documentary film he produced. Kinoshita hopes that students and faculty who attend his session will learn to tie justice, reconciliation and diversity to their faith in Christ and to their work and life on a daily basis.

“Disproportionality in Special Education: the Absent Students When Communities are Built,” will address the topic of overrepresentation of special education, a workshop hosted by Denise Reid, associate professor of education. Students in segregated settings in public schools do not have a chance to be part of the community when it is built, Reid said.

“We’re saying we’re stronger together. In that unity of being together, we have people who are missing,” Reid said. “It’s the missing piece of the strength –– it can be even stronger with the inclusion of everybody.”

Costillo said that students who attend the conference will ask hard questions, become motivated to find answers to these questions and examine the ways their major interact with themes of justice and reconciliation.

“I hope students go away with questions about how their particular major or expected job relates to the bigger picture of us advancing the kingdom of God,” Costillo said.

STUDENTS DISCUSS CONFERENCE BENEFITS

Students said they find the topics at “Strength Together” important and believe that the conference will benefit those who attend.

“We often try to tackle things very individualistically and forget we live in community. It’s an important thing to be doing that we overlook often,” said Kira Bester, sophomore studio art major.

Reid hopes students leave her session with a greater knowledge of how to ensure inclusion of all people, including those in special education, and feels students should take advantage of the opportunity to attend the conference and hear from other speakers.

“I think it’s good since we’re very evangelical and it can teach us how to address these topics whenever we come across them in our lives, especially if people are going into missions,” said Anolyne Dacoron-De Guzman, freshman psychology major.

Students also felt that the conference topics will bring awareness of how to address issues in society as a community.

“It’s important to have people with authority and life experience teaching us about it, but it’s also good to be sparking conversations as a starting off point,” Bester said.