Eagles defeat Westmont in rematch game

Eagles’ recent victory brings their season to 7-5-3 overall and 4-3-2 in conference play.

Junior midfielder Joey O’Keefe passes the ball at the game against Vanguard on Oct. 18. | Marika Adamopoulos/THE CHIMES

Morgan Dworak, Writer

Junior midfielder Joey O'Keefe passes the ball at the game against Vanguard on Oct. 18. In their final season game, the Eagles will face William Jessup University. | Marika Adamopoulos/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Eagles used momentum from their game on Oct. 22 to avenge a previous loss to the Westmont Warriors. The last matchup between the two resulted in a 1-2 loss for the Eagles, but this recent battle ended in a victory.

Both teams started the game with an aggressive approach. Wilton Quintero of Westmont College fired his first shot just a little over a minute into the half. His attempt, which was high over the goal reciprocated with a blocked attempt by junior midfielder Joey O'Keefe.

With less than 15 minutes behind them, both teams received 2 fouls. High tensions led to a yellow card warning to Sebastian Kent of Westmont College. The Eagles used this to their advantage and continued in their pursuit of a goal with two attempted shots from junior midfielder John Hanscom and junior forward Stephen Tanquary. Hanscom's attempt aimed wide right and Tanquary was blocked by Westmont goalie Jonathan Yeeles, but the Eagles persevered.

Nearing the end of the first half, freshman forward True Tamplin made an attempt from 25 yards out that led the Eagles to their first goal. Tamplin shot the ball right over the head of the keeper.

The warriors came into the second half firing but the Eagles stayed patient and disciplined. The first attempt was saved by junior goalkeeper J.T. Addington and the second was blocked. Over halfway through the second half, Tanquary scored his ninth goal of the season to increase the Eagles' lead on the Warriors 2-0. Through the remainder of the second half, the Warriors made four shot attempts but remained unsuccessful.

Following the success in avenging an early season loss, the Eagles will face William Jessup University in their final regular season game. The Eagles are currently 7-5-3 overall and 4-3-2 in conference play.