Eagles move up three spots in National standings after upset against the Master’s

Women’s soccer moved up three spots in national standing and has yet to lose a home game this season.

Freshman forward Samantha Verduzco battles for the ball against a William Jessup University player on Oct. 4. | Ana Waltschew/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Freshman forward Samantha Verduzco battles for the ball against a William Jessup University player on Oct. 4. | Ana Waltschew/THE CHIMES. To see the full photo gallery click here

The women’s soccer team continue to cause a rift in the NAIA standings with their second major upset match in two weeks. Biola defended the top spot in Golden State Athletic Conference standings with a win over the No. 7 Master’s College. The win pushed Biola up three spots in national standings.

The Master’s pushed to take the lead early on in the first half with four shots attempted within the first 20 minutes of the match. However, the Eagles put up a solid wall of defense to keep the Mustang’s from taking the lead.

Senior midfielder Amanda Lillicrop put Biola on the board with her seventh goal of the season in the 21st minute of the match off an assist from sophomore forward Margaret Guadarrama.

In the second half the Master’s scrambled to tie up the score again. The Mustangs outshot the Eagles 15-3 in the second half, but only one out of the 15 made it on target. Biola kept their one goal lead throughout the match to pull out the second upset victory in two weeks.

Senior goalkeeper Briana Williams dominated the back line to keep Biola’s lead secure by saving all five of the Mustang’s on-target shots.

The win puts Biola’s overall record at 11-1 and 5-0 in conference play. Biola has yet to lose a match at home this season.

The Eagles are the only team in conference without a match that has ended in a tie or loss. Biola will take on No. 5 Concordia University on Oct. 14 in Irvine, California.