Eagles fall 2-1 to Mustangs

Biola Eagles were defeated Master’s College Mustangs 2-1.

Junior midfielder Joey O’Keefe runs the ball toward the goal at the Oct. 7 game against The Master’s College. Though Biola dominated over the Mustangs at GSAC last year, the Eagles lost the game 2-1 last Wednesday. | Johnathan Burkhardt/THE CHIMES

Emily Heisinger, Writer

Junior midfielder Joey O'Keefe runs the ball toward the goal at the Oct. 7 game against The Master's College. Though Biola dominated over the Mustangs at GSAC last year, the Eagles lost the game 2-1 last Wednesday. | Johnathan Burkhardt/THE CHIMES

The Biola Eagles took on the Master’s College Mustangs in their fifth Golden State Athletic Conference game. Coming off a win against William Jessup University on Oct. 4, they had one day of practice to prepare for this game.

“It was a little bit of a slower start, and [because we didn’t] come off a loss we weren’t as urgent to fight back and get a win,” said freshman defender Clayton Mohler.

During the first half the pace of the game was fast as the ball moved up and down the field and the Eagles worked hard in the box to score, putting up five shots within the first 17 minutes of the game. However, the Mustangs’ were the first team to score with a goal made by freshman forward Humphrey Mohowa in the 20th minute.

The second half proved more fruitful for the Eagles and their first and only goal of the night was scored by junior midfielder Marshall Deogracia.

Shortly after this, the Mustangs gained another goal off of a free kick by junior midfielder Joey Mikulas.

Last year the two teams met twice during GSAC and Biola took the victory over Master’s both times. It was evident in the ending score this year that Biola struggled a bit, but are still hopeful for the future.

“Overall, we’re pretty much there, it’s just the little details in the game that we have to fix up and clean up.” Said Mohler.

In the end, the Mustangs took the game 2-1, which brings Biola’s overall record for this season to 5-5-1.

The Eagles have some time to work on the little details before their next game against Concordia University in Irvine on Oct. 15 at 3pm.