Women’s soccer look forward to Master’s match-up

Women’s soccer defeated the Warriors of William Jessup University 3-1.

Sophomore forward Taylor Venegas slides to reach the ball at the women’s soccer game against William Jessup University on Oct. 4. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Drew Knight, Writer

Sophomore forward Taylor Venegas slides to reach the ball at the women's soccer game against William Jessup University on Oct. 4. “Everybody has stepped it up and played positions that they hadn’t played last year,” said Venegas | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

The Biola women’s soccer team won their fourth straight game last Saturday, Oct. 4. The Eagles defeated the Warriors of William Jessup University 3-1 to improve their overall record to ten wins and only one loss and their home record to four wins and no losses. Most importantly, Biola’s record in the Golden State Athletic Conference moves up to 4 and 0.

“For us, I think, it’s been focusing on keeping the same mindset off the field, being together and building relationships off the field,” said senior midfielder Amanda Lillicrop. Lillicrop credits this, along with a solid bench, to the Eagles’ lasting success this year.

Lillicrop, who leads the team in both goals and assists with six apiece, had high praise for the team’s reserve players. “We have a really dynamic bench, we have a lot of talent that we can pull off to keep pushing the attack,” Lillicrop said. “We can really rely on our bench players this year, and it’s been really helpful for us.”

Lillicrop refers to players like sophomore forward Margaret Guadarrama, who has yet to start a game, but still has four goals and an assist this year for the Eagles. Freshman forward Samantha Verduzco has added two goals of her own, also coming off the bench. The Eagles’ depth has been advantageous for them thus far in the season.

“We just have a good group of really hardworking girls this year,” said sophomore forward Taylor Venegas on the team’s success.

Besides a deep bench and hard work, versatility proved another key to the Eagles' success. “Everybody has stepped it up and played positions that they hadn’t played last year,” added Venegas, who is tied with Lillicrop for the team lead in goals.

The Eagles currently rank first in the GSAC standings and remain the only team left without either a loss or a tie. They take on the second place Master’s College this week in an important matchup.

“We have to take advantage of every chance we get,” said Venegas, “especially playing against Master’s, it’s going to be hard because I don’t think we will get many chances, but as long as we’re strong defensively, get good clearances and take advantages of the chances that we get up top then I think we will be able to win.”

Biola’s next game is Wednesday, Oct. 8 against the Master’s College Mustangs. The winner of this game will take the first place spot in GSAC for the time being.