Women’s soccer upsets No. 8 ranked Westmont

Women’s soccer defeats Westmont University 1-0.

Junior foreword Brittney Sayre dribbles the ball past Westmont University players at the game on Sept. 30. | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Women’s soccer defeated No. 8 ranked Westmont University on Sept. 30. Biola’s only goal came from sophomore forward Margaret Guadarrama after the cross from sophomore forward Taylor Venegas. That goal proved  enough for the Eagles as they held of Westmont to win 1-0.

The scoreless first half had Westmont taking more offensive attempts than the Eagles. The Warriors had seven shots on goal compared to Biola’s three, but solid goalkeeping by senior goalkeeper Briana Williams kept the score at 0-0.

18 minutes into the second half, Venegas found Guadarrama on a cross pass, and Guadarrama capitalized for her third goal of the season. Biola earned a one goal lead and held it for the rest of the game.

“I think I was just in the right place at the right time,” said Guadarrama. “Tate [Venegas] played a great ball.”  

Biola’s solid defensive play secured their win. The Eagles were able to shutout the Warriors, a team who has scored 21 goals in the ten games they have played this year.

“It’s always good to win and it’s good to beat a team that’s ranked high, and they were contenders last year in the championship game,” said senior goalkeeper Briana Williams. “We can’t let it inflate our heads too much, we need to keep moving and we have other opponents ahead and we can take that and kind of chew on it but we need to get back to work and move onto the next game.”

The Eagles now hold a record of 9-1 and 3-0 in conference. Their next game will be home against William Jessup University on Oct. 4.