Eagles move up the ranks

Men’s and women’s golf teams finish sixth and fourth during the Embry-Ribble Coed Invitational

Photo Courtesy of Jeff Hoffman [file photo]

Jonah Hamilton, Writer

Photo Courtesy of Jeff Hoffman

The men’s and women’s golf teams teed off in windy Arizona at the Embry-Riddle Coed Invitational on Sept. 28-29 , finishing sixth and fourth out of their respective fields.

Despite bad weather, the men managed to stay out of last place, proving they can keep up with other teams. The first two tournaments have seen the Eagles bringing up the rear of the standings. A +90 finish was more than enough to keep them from repeating history.

The women started their season off well with a fourth place finish out of six teams. The squad showed its improvement by posting stroke totals in each of the three rounds lower than anything they put up all last season. The women finished 18 strokes ahead of fifth place with a score of +164.

Both teams show promise with players like freshman Cameron Bauer and junior Jasmine Rodriguez who both delivered high scores. Bauer posted +14 to lead the men and Rodriguez led the women with +35.

Similar to the last men’s tournament, the California State University of San Marcos nabbed first place in both men’s and women’s categories. The women finished the tournament with 948 strokes, earning a score of +84. The men posted a +12 score with 876 total strokes. Dylan Healey led the Cougars, who put up an impressive -4, the best men’s score and Vanessa Chap led the women with a +13 outing, the second best women’s score.

The start of the women’s season places them in a good spot as well. Additionally, the men did not let their less-than-stellar start bring them down.

“We always stay positive as a team and that is going to carry us through the tough rounds into next tournament,” said junior William Langworthy.

The men have over a month to prepare for their next tournament on Nov. 3-4. They will compete in the CSU San Marcos Fall Classic, the first of two consecutive tournaments hosted by CSU San Marcos. Biola looks to build on their improvements and climb up the standings.

In addition to joining the men for the CSUSM Fall Classic in November, the women will compete on Oct. 25-26 in the Firestone Grill Women's Invitational hosted by Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo with hopes of continuing their success from last Monday’s tournament.