Men unable to advance past first round

Men’s tennis is unable to make it past the first round of the USTA/ITA NAIA Regional Championship but hopes to make this a building season.

Lucas Lee, a freshman on the men’s tennis team, returns the ball to his California Institute of Technology opponent. Lee won his match in two sets. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Sophomore Lucas Lee returns the ball to his California Institute of Technology opponent last year. Lee advanced to the second round of the USTA/ITA NAIA Regional Championship tournament on Sept. 25-27. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

The men’s tennis team competed in the USTA/ITA NAIA Regional Championship on Sept. 25- 27. This served as Brent Worthington’s debut as head coach for the men’s team, who took over for David Goodman after his resignation last year.

Last year sophomore Lucas Lee advanced to the second round of the tournament with 7-5, 6-1 sweep against Tyler Cawthorne from Arizona before falling to an opponent from Westmont. Lee and doubles partner senior Taven Townsend defeated the top-seeded team in the second but dropped in the third.

This year no one made it past the first round for the singles with the exception of Townsend, who received a bye for the first round.Townsend dropped to Carl Lindqvist from Westmont College 6-1, 6-2.

Freshman Andrew Greenfield had an impressive showing against Arizona Christian University’s David Castano. Greenfield edged out Catano in the first set 7-6 but could not clinch the win in the and fell 6-3.  In the tiebreaker Greenfield pushed for the win but came up short and ended the match at 10-7.

Both doubles teams could not advance to the second round.  Freshman Joe Turnquist and Greenfield fell 8-5 to Concordia University’s Man Ko and Moritz Pronath. Townsend and freshman David Garcia matched up against Christian Mathis and Tommy Nightengale from Westmont, falling 8-5 as well.

The men look to improve from last season 9-16 record, which ended up the best season the program has had since 2007.