Eagles volleyball working hard for success in conference play

Women’s volleyball keeps up a competitive season with two wins and a loss and continues to work hard.

Senior middle blocker Amy Weststeyn celebrates a play with her teammates at their game against Concordia on Sept. 20. | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES

Emily Heisinger, Writer

Senior middle blocker Amy Weststeyn celebrates a play with her teammates during the game against Concordia on Sept. 20. The Eagles faced defeat against Concordia but look forward to playing Arizona Christian University Firestorm on Sept. 27. | Molli Kaptein/THE CHIMES

The Biola volleyball team has begun to find their rhythm as the season progresses.  With three games in conference play under their belts, two wins and a loss, the team continues to work hard for the season still ahead.

The Eagles started strong with a big win against Vanguard University on Sept. 9 followed by a sweep against Hope International on Sept. 13.

The Eagles faced a tough defeat in their third conference match against Concordia University on Sept. 20. Freshman defensive specialist Tess Van Grouw said it will make them stronger.

“From the Concordia game we learned how to be resilient, I know we didn’t come out with the win but we really grew as a team, in the sense that we didn’t get rattled very easily when they got a good kill or something,” Van Grouw said. “I think being able to carry that over into this next game will be nice.”

Van Grouw is one of the two freshmen on the team, her counterpart being setter Allison Spencer. Both have received ample playing time this season, adjusting to Biola’s way of playing volleyball.

Spencer, who boasts 368 assists this season thus far, is an irreplaceable asset to the 5-2 offense the team runs. With junior setter Ashton Arbuthnot completing the setter position, the entire team benefits from the skill level they bring to the court as a duo.  

“I’ve made my skills more sharp with setting, like the little technicalities and getting the location [right],” said Spencer of the skills she has gained since joining the team.

In the back row, Van Grouw has helped the team with 49 digs and 11 assists. As the team tries out a slightly different defensive approach, she works hard to adjust to the college level.

“[I’ve been] practicing both defenses to be able to be comfortable switching back from them.” Van Grouw said.

Both freshman have contributed to the team during game play, helping the team achieve their overall season record of 12-4.

The Eagles have a few days to readjust and prepare for their game against San Diego Christian this Tuesday. While Biola has not lost to San Diego Christian College in over five years, the team still takes practices for this game seriously.

“Coach said today that San Diego just beat San Marcos, which is a respectable team, so we can’t really take either of them lightly,” Van Grouw said.

This Saturday, Sept. 27 at 3 p.m., the Eagles will face the Arizona Christian University Firestorm in Phoenix. Last year, Biola defeated ACU in both conference play games and have a chance of doing the same on Saturday.