Women’s soccer recovers from first loss with 5-0 blowout against ACU

Women’s soccer suffers first loss but maintains a No. 1 ranking in the GSAC standings.

The+womens+soccer+team+debriefs+after+their+1-0+win+against+CSULA+on+Thursday+night.+%7C+Katie+Evensen%2FTHE+CHIMES+

The women’s soccer team debriefs after their 1-0 win against CSULA on Thursday night. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Jenna Kubiak, Writer

The women's soccer team debriefs after win against CSULA on Aug. 28. The team suffered their first loss but maintains a No. 1 ranking in the GSAC standings. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

The women’s soccer team’s winning streak of 6-0 came to an end after playing against California State University San Marcos on Sept. 20. After their first loss of the season, the Eagles were able to add another win to the record. Biola traveled to Arizona and played their first conference match against Arizona Christian University on Sept. 23.

The Cougars proved a tough opponent for the Eagles. Both teams failed to score in the first half of the match. The Cougars made three shots on goal against the Eagles, but could not make a connection to take the lead. The Eagles managed to take one shot which spun to the right side, resulting in a foul.

Cal State forward Paulina Good scored the first goal for the Cougars and proceeded to score another goal on a penalty kick. Senior Goalkeeper Briana Williams saved one shot made by Good in the second half. Cal State received a total of two yellow cards and 13 fouls for the game. Even with the yellow cards, Biola could not score a goal.

The match against the Cougars ended in a 2-0 loss for the Eagles, setting their record at 6-1. Despite their first loss, the Eagles are not discouraged and believe they have made great progress this season, with the team’s success largely due to their ability to work well together.

“We’ve just worked really hard as a team, getting to know each other on and off the field, spending time with each other every day,” said junior forward Brittney Sayre.

Senior midfielder Shea Davis also mentioned the importance of working together as a team.

“Something that I’ve learned that is really important as a team is that chemistry is so crucial,” Davis said. “Off the field and on the field, we’re able to put it together.”

The Eagles apply what they have learned from the matches throughout the course of the season to current and future matches.

“It’s easier to learn things in a loss than in a win,” Davis said. “We have been successfully building off each game, especially using what we have been learning to practice a lot. We still have been learning even though we have been doing so much.”

SETTING HIGH GOALS

The team has high aspirations for the rest of the season.

“Our goal is to do better and hopefully make it to playoffs,” Sayre said. “I hope we make it to nationals, that’s our goal — to get better as a team and to do our best.”

The Eagles played their first Golden State Athletic Conference match against Arizona Christian University on Sept. 23.  The Eagles won 5-0, setting their record to 7-1.

Biola opened the first half game against the Firestorm with a goal by junior forward Brittney Sayre in the 6th minute.  The women had difficulty in the first half breaking past Alex Dungan, the Firestorm goalkeeper. Dungan accumulated a total of 16 saves this season over three games. Biola ended the first half 1-0.

The Eagles continued their momentum in the second half of the game. Sayre scored her fifth goal of the season a minute into the second half with an assist from goalkeeper Briana Williams. Sophomore forward Taylor Venegas continued the scoring with a goal assisted by sophomore defender Kayla White in the 68th minute.

Earlier in the second half, Venegas made a couple shots that veered away from the goal. Davis along with freshman midfielder Ashley Ramirez  made shots on goal. Biola secured a shutout win when forward Samantha Verduzco scored two goals with assists from freshman forward Alexis Lee and sophomore midfielder Mariah Ziemer. The Eagles had a strong lead over Firestorm, ending the game with a score of 5-0.

Despite their first loss, the Eagles still maintain strength with a No. 1 ranking in the GSAC standings. The Eagles have their next conference match against Hope International University on Sept. 27.