Women’s soccer shuts out Arizona Christian

Women’s soccer beats Arizona Christian University 5-0.

Senior midfielder Miranda Starbeck leaps for the ball at the women’s soccer game against Bethesda. Starbeck, who had one goal and two assists, helped the team win with a score of 8-0. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Jenna Kubiak, Writer

Senior midfielder Miranda Starbeck leaps for the ball at the game against Bethesda. Women's soccer defeated Arizona Christian University on Sept. 23 with a final score of 5-0. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

The women’s soccer team played their first Golden State Athletic Conference match on Sept. 23 against Arizona Christian University. The game resulted in a 5-0 win for Biola, bringing their record to 7-1.

Junior forward Brittney Sayre kicked the game off to a good start scoring her fourth goal of the season in the sixth minute. The Eagles attempted several shots following Sayre’s goal, but all were saved by Firestorm goalkeeper Alex Dungan who accomplished six saves in the first half.  

In the second half, three Biola players achieved their first goals of the season. Sayre scored a second goal in the forty-sixth minute of the game and sophomore forward Taylor Venegas secured a goal in the 68th minute with an assist from sophomore defender Kayla White.

The Eagles had a solid finish to the game when freshman forward Samantha Verduzco scored her first two goals of the season. Biola defeated the Arizona Christian 5-0.

Biola currently ranks first in GSAC standings. As they transition into conference play, they look forward to their second conference match against Hope International University on Sept. 27.