Biola goes one and one in final tournament day

Women’s volleyball continues to succeed in their already competitive season.

Zion_Studios

Sophomores Lauren Hoenecke and Joclyn Kirton put up a powerful block against Texas-Brownsville. Unfortunately for women’s volleyball, that strength was not enough to overpower the #2 team in the GSAC Conference on October 22. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Juniors Lauren Hoenecke and Joclyn Kirton put up a powerful block against Texas-Brownsville last October. Hoenecke lead the team on the Sept 9 game against Rocky Mountain with 11 kills and 2 blocks. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

On the second day of the Carroll College Tournament in Helena, Mt. the Biola University Eagles volleyball team lost their first match against No. 17 ranked Rocky Mountain College three sets to one, but came back strong in the second match to win against Montana Tech.

Rocky Mountain took the first set 25-20, Biola took the second 25-18, but were unable to continue the momentum into the third and fourth sets. This brings the Eagles’ overall season record to 9-3 before conference play starts September 9th. Junior middle blocker Lauren Hoenecke led all players with a .550 kill percentage, gathering 11 kills and 2 blocks.

Meanwhile, in the second match of the day, and last of the tournament, the Eagles finished strong with a three set to none win over the Montana Tech Orediggers. The first two sets were dispatched easily by the Eagles 25-17 and 25-18, but the Orediggers gave the Eagles a scare in the third. However, it would turn out to be too-little-too-late as Biola would hold on to take the final set 25-22.

The win propels Biola into double-digit win territory, at 10-3 overall. This marks the 34th straight year that the Eagles have won at least 10 games in their season. Senior middle blocker Amy Weststeyn not only led the offense for Biola with 10 kills, two aces, and three blocks spread out amongst all three sets, but also led all players in kill percentage, at .625.

The Eagles play Sept. 9 at 7 pm in Chase Gym against their first conference opponent, the Vanguard University Lions, who are also 10-3.