Ice Bucket Challenge Makes Waves on Campus

Students share their views regarding the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Sophomore David Grieg dumps a bucket of ice water on junior Noah Schrader outside Horton Hall. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Torie Hamilton, Writer

With the increasing popularity of the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ice bucket challenge, the majority of Biola students not only know about the movement but also have participated in it. Students hold a variety of reasons for joining in on the challenge; however, others have a contrasting negative view of the popular awareness campaign.

Some students participate to spread awareness and education about ALS.

“I didn’t even know what ALS stood for until I actually looked it up on my phone and realized what it meant and what it was for. I saw my friends on social media doing it so I figured that people who follow me, can see it and it can spread everywhere,” said Bria Madrid, junior communications major.

Some students hold a more personal connection with the disease.

“One of my buddies, one of his grandparents died from ALS so it’s personal to him, so I thought that it is pretty cool that awareness is being spread about it,” said Jake Nagy, sophomore biblical studies major.

On Aug. 22, president Barry Corey joined in on the movement when he accepted the challenge and had four buckets of ice water dumped on him while standing in Fleur Fountain.

“In response to a challenge from a number of friends, including the presidents of APU and Vanguard, and Biola’s men’s soccer team, I was pleased to support ALS research with the ice bucket challenge. I donated to the Mayo Clinic which funds adult stem cell research,” Corey said after the act in an emailed statement to the Chimes.

Not all students take part in the same way. One student made put a unique spin on the challenge.

“I looked into it more and… I decided that, after my research, that it was a really good cause, but that I wanted to do it a little bit differently,” said Laura Daronatsy, junior public relations major.

Daronatsy chose to donate a dollar for every “like” she received on her ice bucket challenge video that she uploaded on Facebook. Now up to 194 “likes,” her video has gained a wide audience and appreciation.

However, some students express concern over the excess amount of water being used when over half of California suffers from a drought.

“A lot of people that I’ve talked to here, they think that it’s dumb and a waste of water, and we are in a drought,” said Tiara Luis, freshman communication disorders major.

Many Californians voice their concern over the water waste. The Daily Currant, a satirical news website, joked that those participating in the challenge receive $500 fines. While fictional, the fine does have its supporters, such as Long Beach Post writer Jason Ruiz, who said such a consequence needs no justification in response to the estimated 6 million gallons of water used for the challenge.

However, the ice bucket challenge has not alarmed the state government to the point of action.

“It doesn’t violate any of our regulations. People should always use good judgment whenever they use water when we’re in a drought. On the other hand, we understand that this is a charitable event,” said George N. Kostyroko, director of the California State Water Resources Control Board’s office of public affairs in an emailed statement to NBC Bay Area).

Others on campus worry that some participants may have a lack of sincere motivation. Daronatsy agreed that several people she knows took issue with this; however, while understanding the concern, she does not regret her decision.

“I think that at Biola, there’s a lot of skepticism with the motivations behind that and I think that it is important to look at it, but I’m glad that I participated because it is going to make the cause more well known,” said Daronatsy.