AS Senate Rundown: April 10, 2014

This senate meeting featured four student proposals that will be voted on during next week’s meeting.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Katie Nelson, Writer

The Associated Students senate meeting this week featured four proposals, all of which will be voted upon at next week’s meeting.

PROPOSALS

Senior film major JJ Carroll opened the session with a proposal for $2,050 for the Biola Film premiere. Carroll requested that the funds go toward premiering the 12-minute movie, “Kyle and Captain Courage,” at a local theater for $1,050 in rental fees. He also proposed for $200 to purchase snacks, $100 toward a PA system and $100 for promotional posters. The premiere will feature a question-and-answer session geared toward local children, Carroll said.

“It’s going to be an open house kind of a thing,” he said.

Intramural sports coordinator Kyle Kinney also proposed for a total sum of $2,050 to create a website for online intramural registration. Currently, team captains must acquire signatures from each team member and turn the registration in face-to-face. With the new system, students who wish to play but are not on a specific team can sign up individually and be placed on a team via the website. The funds would go toward the one-time installment fee and a one-year membership with the league management web application.

Next, Hope North senator Elizabeth Britton and junior accounting major Kevin Vandekamp made a joint proposal for $2,800 for the Lower Campus Block Party. The funds would go toward buying hamburgers and other food, games, an inflatable and a snow cone machine. In addition, they would purchase sunglasses to distribute to the first 200 guests. DJ Kat Scratch — the disc jockey from both Nationball and Mock Rock — will also make an appearance.

Wrapping up the proposals, Ika Sani, a senior communication disorders and psychology major, requested $1,200 to set up the stage and equipment for a performance night. The evening will feature spoken word poetry, music and other artistic talents and will be held during Global Students Voices Week, a cultural awareness event hosted by the International Student Association.