Baseball: Eagles fall in slugfest against San Marcos

Baseball team loses in high scoring game.

Sophomore Sean Rothfuss pitches to San Marcos during their double-header on Saturday, Feb. 15. The men dropped both games to the Cougars. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Sophomore Sean Rothfuss pitches to San Marcos during their double-header on Feb. 15. The Eagles lost again during their second bout with San Marcos. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Following a week with no games, the Eagles committed a season-high seven errors while still receiving plenty of offensive production in a 17-11 loss at the hands of Cal State San Marcos.

San Marcos started off strong, scoring nine runs in the first three innings. Sophomore righty Sean Rothfuss, who was credited with the loss, was tagged with four earned runs on eight hits over four innings of work.

Three errors in the second and third innings allowed the Cougars to jump out to an early 9-3 lead. Two more errors in the fourth gave San Marcos three more runs.

The Eagles struck back with five in the fifth, but another response from San Marcos with two set the tone for the afternoon. Despite Biola’s best effort in playing catch-up for most of the afternoon, the Eagles dropped their 32nd game on the season.

San Marcos didn’t necessarily fair any better. The Cougars committed five errors and gave up 14 hits in the win.

David McNeill had a very productive day for the Eagles. The senior first baseman was only 1-3 at the plate but picked up three walks and had three RBIs. Sophomore Jimmy Gallarda was 2-3 with an RBI.

Seniors Luke Klocek and Johnny Farrington, as well as sophomore Sam Thorne all tallied two RBIs in the loss.

ALL SINGLES

Despite the high scoreline and runs scored for the Eagles, all 14 of Biola’s hits were singles, with no extra-base hits the entire game.

Pitching appeared to be rough for both teams. No pitcher on either squad went longer than 2.2 innings, and 11 total pitchers were used between the two teams.

While the Eagles would like to be able to move on and put this game behind them, they face an even bigger challenge on the horizon as they head to Irvine for a three-game series this weekend with Concordia University Irvine.

The Irvine Eagles are ranked 18 in the nation and took two of three from Biola earlier this season. In that earlier series, Concordia outscored Biola 22-11.

Biola is going to need some of the offensive intensity they brought to San Marcos and some of the errorless play they didn’t bring if they hope to hang with Concordia.

The Eagles record now sits at 7-20 in GSAC play and 11-32 overall.